Sound Card Power Options

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chopinico, Oct 24, 2011.

1. chopinico macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hello,

This past weekend I purchased an ASUS sound card for my 2010 Mac Pro, so that I can take advantage of Dolby Digital Live when playing games.

I installed the card but found that it requires a power connection as well.  The power connector on the card looks like this: http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/robscix/Snd_Cards/Xonar%20DX/Large/pwr.jpg

Although it came with an adapter to a standard Molex connector, as shown in this picture: http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/attachments/78886d1235835106-test-asus-xonar-dx-100_1195.jpg

Currently, both of my optical drives and all four of my drive bays are in use, so it would be difficult to get power from SATA.  There are two 6-pin power cables running to my 5870HD.  Could one of those be split to give power to the sound card as well?

I would welcome any potential solutions.  I'm sure someone else must have run into this problem.  Why provide four PCI slots and no options for additional power?

Thanks a ton in advance!

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

You'll probably need a combination of adapters from your Optical drives. Just split the SATA power from one of your optical drives to SATA + Molex, and connect the sata back to the optical drive and the molex to that adapter. Shouldn't be too hard to find on newegg

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Combine the following two cables:
    1. SATA (Male) to Molex [connect the SATA end to the available backplane connector <power + data> in the empty Optical bay]
    2. Molex to 4 pin floppy connector [attach the Molex ends together, and voila... power to the sound card]
    The Male gender on the SATA connector is critical, so if you don't buy from the links I posted, please pay close attention (most are Female to go from Molex cables to SATA drives = won't work).