Sound Card!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cindori, May 4, 2008.

1. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

I have 2x 2.1 speakers, and I want to use them all at once in my mac pro. Can I insert a sound card and how will it work?

2. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I don't think 2x 2.1 Speakers will give you much of an effect. You could however just get a Y splitter cable and plug them both into the headphone jack on the back on the MacPro.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish but I think this would work best for you.

4. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

5. Cindori thread starter macrumors 68040

Cindori

Ok, what I want to do is make some use of an old 2.1 system I have lying around. For fun I tried to hook it up to a portable comp, then put the speakers behind me (with another 2.1 in front of me) and press play on a song on the laptop and Mac Pro at the same time. When I finally got the song synced the sound was really great! I've never really tried music in surround sound and It was absolutely beutiful.

The Firewave seems to be what I am looking for. I will get back home later and take a look on the cables.

6. Trip.Tucker Guest

The reason it sounded great, given the setup you described, is most likely due to phase shift. This is often employed on systems to fake surround speakers on 3.1 setup's. You would lose this effect with a splitter or common source not designed to drive surround speaker layouts. You would be better off by utilizing the digital/optical outs on the Mac. Keep in mind, you won't find a whole lot of 5.1 audio content so you will find yourself only using that for movies.