Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrew34kay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Hi, i just got a powermac g3 blue and white, is it possible to hook it up to my 5.1 speakers with a pci sound card? im new to mac os x and im not sure what it supports. thanks for any replies.

-Andrew

bshelly

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2004
andrew34kay,

You can get an M-Audio Revolution 5.1 or 7.1 card to do what you want and it's OSX compatible. Newegg.com is currently out of stock, but here is the product link for the 5.1:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-121-116&depa=8

Link for the 7.1:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-121-101&depa=8

According to their website, the 5.1 card back in stock on 1/3/05. No ETA for the 7.1. You can always check elsewhere for these cards, but Newegg's price and service are often better than other online stores.

Also, be sure to get the latest drivers from M-Audio's website to ensure the most up to date compatibility.

Hope this info helps. Have a great new year!

-Bill Shelly

andrew34kay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
thanks

thanks, so my sound blaster audigy would be compatible? well tath is ok, as long as i can use all my speakers. thanks

-Andrew

bshelly

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2004
andrew34kay said:
thanks, so my sound blaster audigy would be compatible? well tath is ok, as long as i can use all my speakers. thanks

-Andrew

No, that is incorrect. Sound Blaster (Creative Labs) products will not work on any hardware running OSX.

M-Audio is a different company and makes the Revolution line of audio cards which are compatible with OSX.

-Bill

andrew34kay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Thanks

ya that is what i thought, i guess the way i posted it didnt sound like that. sorry. :) Well thanks for your replies. I think that I will get the Newegg sound card. Thanks.

-Andrew

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
]KLGA[
Yah .. you're probably good with one of hr Maudio series .. their products and driver support for OSX are good and reliable ..

bshelly

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2004
andrew34kay said:
ya that is what i thought, i guess the way i posted it didnt sound like that. sorry. :) Well thanks for your replies. I think that I will get the Newegg sound card. Thanks.

-Andrew

No problem. Please let me know if you like the card once you get it.

-Bill

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.