Sound clipping on iPhone using handsfree?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CubeHacker, Feb 25, 2009.

1. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Has anyone else experienced sound being clipped when talking to another person over wired handsfree? I've noticed when talking to some of my friends, the sound gets clipped during the louder parts of the conversation. Even individual syllables get clipped, and as you can imagine, it gets annoying very fast.

This ONLY happens over handsfree, and does not happen with the built in earpiece or when on speakerphone. It happens no matter what handsfree I use (apple supplied headphones, other headphones, etc). Volume does not affect it - it clips when on 1 bar or full bars of volume. It also only happens during conversations. Any other form of sound, such as movies, iPod, or apps, sounds just fine.

Has anyone heard this before or experienced this? I don't have another iPhoneto test with, though I should have one soon to see if mines is somehow defective. It seems like a peculiar defect, though.

2. CubeHacker thread starter macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Well, I got to play with another iPhone yesterday. I tested it out and guess what - same problem! At this point i've tested 3 iPhones and they all exhibit the same issue. So I can say with a good degree of certainty and most if not all iphones have this problem, as all 3 that i've tested can't possibly be defective. The only question is, is this a hardware or a software issue?

For those wondering what sound "clipping" is, it sounds sort of like short bursts of static or white noise on the loudest parts of the sound. Now I can't be 100% sure that its clipping thats taking place on the iPhone, but it sure sounds similar to clipping.