Sound correction in iMovie?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CoffeeMonkey, Dec 27, 2008.

1. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

I got a great piece of footage over Christmas, but a squeaky tape in my camcorder introduced a high-pitched whine in the background. I'm guessing that if I tone down the high frequencies, it should solve the problem. Is there a way to do some basic sound correction in iMovie? Or could I edit the soundtrack of a movie in Garageband?

Thanks in advance!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

iMovie 08's audio adjustment is limited to adjusting a clip's overall volume, adjusting a clip's volume in relation to background music or other audio, fading in/out, and normalizing audio, which tries to adjust a single selected clip's audio to maximum volume without distortion or subsequently selected clips to the same audio range. iMovie HD 6 which can be downloaded has similar limits with regards to audio adjustments. GarageBand is probably the best application in this situation. Once the project has been shared over from iMovie, it should import into a GarageBand project as two tracks Movie Video and Movie Sound. You of course would make the necessary adjustments with the Movie Sound track.