Sound during phone calls

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by biblicalfury, Aug 31, 2007.

1. biblicalfury macrumors member

So, I'm typing this on my new iPhone. Everything works great except the volume on phone calls. I can hear fine when I use the headphones or speakerphone (and everyone can hear me just fine too). But when I put the phone up to my ear like a normal phone, I can barely hear the other person and they can barely hear me either. I've been looking at the settings, but I don't see anything. Am I missing something?

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Don't worry..your phone is working perfectly. Not being able to hear through the earpiece is how it is.

3. unity macrumors 6502a

Mine is fine and the same mic is used for all other functions. Did you remove the packing film? When on a call are you sure your volume is all the way up. When not on a call the volume adjustment is just for the ringtones.

4. srt4cane macrumors member

I'm having the same exact problem, except speakphone isn't very loud either. It's strange because when i play a movie or song through the speaker it can be very loud, but during a call i can barely hear the person. Hopefully apple will come up with a software update to allow the speaker's true potential volume to be used.

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

oh i've done all there is to do, just will see if it's addressed in an update. no packing film, volume up all the way during a call. ringtone volume is always on max too as these play too soft was well. I've resorted to adjusting the eq and bumping the volume on a few ringtones to get them louder.

6. unity macrumors 6502a

Have you tried the volume limit adjust?

Settings/iPod/Volume Limit/

Turn it all the way up then lock it, you will need an easy to remember pin.

This will turn off the volume limit, may including me, had a boost in sound. It may not be much, but its noticeable.

7. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Yes I've had the volume limit up and locked since day 1 so that isn't a fix for me unfortunately.

8. breath of apple macrumors member

Me too!

I just purchased the iphone and love it! But I am experiencing the same volume problems during calls and with speakerphone too. It is frustrating having to ask the other person to repeat themselves when I can't hear what they just said. Hopefully, it will be fixed in a software update soon, and before my 14 day warranty expires! :) Please, Apple? :apple: Thanks!

9. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

If this is not updated in this next update i'm resigned to think that it's a hardware issue and will have to wait for version 2. It's a top 5 complaint.

10. ForeverUnknown macrumors regular

I think it's an issue with the hardware on certain phones. On my refurb 4GB, the volume from the earpiece and external speaker were relatively low. I thought that's how the phone was supposed to be, but on my 8GB, there's a noticeable difference.