Sound editor?

Judge Fudge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
Are there any decent sound editors out there for mac? I just want to cut soundclips, and the like.(Mp3, Wav, whatever) No loop making, just simple stuff like Cool Edit would do in windows. Free is better (other than Audacity, I hate that program), cheap is ok, expensive...not so good.

theorem7

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2006
My eMac came with an app called Sound Studio pre-installed. I use it a lot, and it's great. I looked up the Cool Edit program, and it appears to have a fairly similar feature set. The current version of Sound Studio is $80, but they have version 2.2.4 available for free download here. I don't know how many more features version 3 has, but I'm still on 2.1 and it works fine for me!

Judge Fudge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
They want $40 for it, and it's not even worth that much to me. Thanks for the suggestion though. Has anyone had luck with Audacity for Mac? In my experience with the Windows version, it's pretty bad.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Audacity. It's open source, so it is free. It is very intuitive to use, easier than GarageBand I'd say and there a few tutorials on the web for beginners that helped me out quite a bit.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
theBB said:
Audacity. It's open source, so it is free. It is very intuitive to use, easier than GarageBand I'd say and there a few tutorials on the web for beginners that helped me out quite a bit.
indeed

edit: sorry, missed you saying you hate it

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
The good ones are not free...

I like

Recycle
DSP Quatro
Soundtrack Pro
Logic Express

and these ones are good too....

Amadeus II