Sound Effect Library App?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by advil0, Apr 18, 2011.

1. advil0 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm doing sound for a play at my high school and as a part of the play I have to play certain sound effects at certain times. I was just going to use iTunes but I realized that iTunes has a very slight delay in the time when you hit play/pause until it actually carries out the action. Is there a piece of software that will let me queue up sound effects and play them without delay?

Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can Quick Look an audio file with no delay. Simply click once to select the file in Finder, then press the space bar. Also, if you select multiple music files in iTunes, it doesn't delay between them, unless there's dead air in the recording itself.

3. advil0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick Look for me seems to have a longer delay than even iTunes. From the time I hit space bar to the time it's finished doing the effect to show up is about 3-4x the time of the iTunes delay. :(

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

What you are looking for is a sound board. Do a google search for "OS X Sound Board" and you will find some options - some free some not. I haven't used them, so I can't give you any recommendation.

Sounds boards work a little differently than iTunes as they load all the sounds into memory so when you press the button, the sound plays immediately.