Sound Effect on Button Press - DVD Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lindmar, May 16, 2008.

1. lindmar macrumors 6502

I want to have a sound effect when someone hits a certain track or chapter selection on my dvd.

Can anyone help me figure out how to do this?

2. Bunsen macrumors member

There is no way to assign a sound to a button selection in DVDSP (or any other authoring app either) The DVD spec doesn't allow layering of sounds, everything needs to be in a track that can be jumped to.
    Having said that, there are ways to "fake" it, but there is a bit of delay from when you hit the button till you hear the sound (there is a track/menu jump in-between)
    Render special video segments specifically for the "special" buttons with the same video as your chapter menu, and the sound effect starting on the first frame. You can use this special video to visually transition to the track or fade to black, or just make it long enough to play the sound effect (but it must be at least 15 frames long)
    In DVDSP, make the new video into a menu. Set the "At End:" property in the General tab to "Timeout" with 0 seconds, and set the "Action" to the chapter point you'll be jumping to.
    On your main chapter menu set the "special" button to jump to your new menu.
    Now when you select the special button, it will jump to your new menu, play the sound, timeout and automatically jump to the chapter.
    If you want the same sound on multiple buttons, you can make multiple transition menus that use the same assets, or you can use scripting to make one transition menu jump to the appropriate place (too detailed to get into scripting here)
    This is just one way to do it, but all solutions will need a jump, and thus a slight delay, before the sound is heard.