Sound effects cutoff in Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Osetjka, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Osetjka macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro seems to have this odd issue of sound effects (in the OSX desktop) not playing properly. Basically the sfx got cut off in the middle by a subtle cracking sound. This usually occurs when that particular sound is being played for the first time. Subsequent events with that sound play correctly. Hope I'm making sense here :). A good example is the startup sound for Skype (this happens with pretty much all the sounds after restart).

Sound in youtube or movies, and music play back just fine. My machine is a 2008 17' MBP running Snow Leopard. Clean reinstall of Snow Leopard doesn't solve the problem. Sound in Windows 7 (boot camp) works well, so I don't think this is a hardware issue. Actually, the problem seems sporadic but pretty bad: in Skype for example, incoming call FX (for first call) sounds glitchy and looped.. Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated. I've looked around the net but couldn't find the solution. I'm confused ...:confused:

2. Takashi macrumors regular

Is your computer running on battery power when this happen? If this is the case, then it's the power saving functions of OSX cutting off the sound. The problem should go away when you plug your computer in.

3. Osetjka thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, it's running on AC power. I thought this might be a hardware problem, but the rest of the sound in the OSX (movies, music) work fine. Its just the sound effects in the desktop that's acting up.