Sound encoded incorrectly on LOST latest ep 'What Kate Does' ?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ggt, Feb 10, 2010.

1. ggt macrumors regular

Anyone else viewing LOST through :apple:TV and 5.1 surround sound notice all the voices come out of the rear right speaker? It's not a problem with hardware as the previous two eps are fine. It's really annoying!

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

I did not notice that and watched the show last night. I will try and check again after work today, but I certainly didn't notice anything odd about the sound last night...and I do have a 5.1 surround speaker setup.

Is it REALLY obvious, or will I have to strain to hear it? I'm assuming it's an obvious issue. (Not being a jerk...I want to know what I should be listening for)

3. alphajerk macrumors member

I watched the episode last night and yes, it did the same for me. It wasn't that annoying for us. I'm sure a new version will be re-downloaded when they get enough complaints.

4. slfdstrx macrumors newbie

Yup, same problem here

I sent an email to the iTunes Store about it, under the "doesn't look or sound good" heading, and just got a reply saying this is outside the area of expertise of the support person. I now have to find a number to call a technical advisor. Hopefully they will have heard of this, and I won't have to explain that I know how 5.1 works, etc, etc, etc.

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

Would you have noticed this without this thread? I didn't notice anything and knew about the thread.

It's not 'that annoying', but how noticeable is it to you?

I downloaded my episode yesterday around 7PM CST and noticed nothing out of the ordinary...but admittedly wasn't being extremely critical of the audio. Just want to know how hard I need to concentrate to notice this?

6. slfdstrx macrumors newbie

It was completely annoying to me, as the dialogue was coming out behind me. There was just sound effects and music coming out of the front speakers. When I switched the receiver to 2 channel, the dialogue came out of the right speaker, and everything else out the left.

The premiere episodes play perfectly in 5.1. There is a definite, serious issue with What Kate Does.

7. mohanman macrumors regular

Well I for one don't like Kate anyway. Shes annoying and is a horrible character... I don't find her attractive either. She thinks shes so right and cool. Hopefully that smoke monster thingy will take care of her soon. Good riddens... jeez.

Mo

8. slfdstrx macrumors newbie

Ha ha ha. I like her okay.

I called the support line, which funneled me to the Apple TV section, and they want my serial number before they will let me explain the problem. I'm at work, and it isn't showing as registered on the web site, which is strange, but neither is my iMac G5. I thought I've always registered the devices. Oh well, I'll call later to pass on the problem.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Sounds like that agent misunderstood the issue and gave you incorrect information. Technical support will only be able to ensure that your Apple TV is working properly, and it sounds like it is. I would try contacting iTunes Store support again.

10. slfdstrx macrumors newbie

I think you're probably right. I might try the chat option this evening to see if I can get the issue across to someone.

11. slfdstrx macrumors newbie

Called support with the Apple TV serial number, and they agreed it was a problem with the episode. He said I should try iTunes Support again, so that's what I did. Hopefully they won't tell me to call support again!