Sound for a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by uMac, Jun 19, 2007.

1. uMac macrumors 6502

2. robbieDrobot macrumors newbie

I'm confused. Your MacPro has an optical out connection for 5.1. So just connect your optical out to your optical in - in your reciever? Am I missing something?

3. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Its not an optical sound system...

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You need a decoder of some sort, namely one which will decode 5.1 audio, or you can buy a soundcard which has one built in.

I tend to say though, you're better off getting a decent pair of stereo speakers than going surround sound.

Surround sound is not better sound, it's just more.

5. robbieDrobot macrumors newbie

Then it's not 5.1. Looking at the link you posted it uses a "standard stereo" signal and intelligently decodes it to 5.1. BS. Stereo channels hold Dolby Pro Logic which is 4.1 not 5.1 (mono rear channell instead of stereo rear). So you won't be missing much by connecting it to your standard headphone jack on the MP.

6. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I just want stereo (left & right) sound but out of all 4 speakers (and the subwoof).

As for better to more sound - The system came with 4 speakers and has done me well the last 2 years I have used it on my TV, But my computer needs speakers, so they are making the move rather then buying new ones.

Thanks everyone who responded.