Sound Forge-type app?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by SSpiro, May 3, 2007.

1. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I used to use Sound Forge 9 on my PC to do audio editing, etc.

I know my MBP will handle this MUCH MUCH better.. but not sure what app to use.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Edit MP3's and WAVs for the most part. 99% of the time.

2. sonarghost macrumors regular

Alot of people (like myself) like to use Logic. There is Logic express and Logic Pro. Both are made by apple so it has great "direct" mac support. There are also many forums that can help you out with the program as well. Logic is also VERY Powerful and I highly recommend it especially if you work alot with midi. You also get alot of great plug-ins with Logic Pro, enough to keep you busy for quite a while so it is great bang for your buck!:)

3. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

4. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Logic is NOT like soundforge/Cool Edit Pro, etc.

Logic is more for midi and music creation, though it does handle all types of audio.

For editing wav files and such there is no comparable Cool Edit Pro/Adobe Audition program for the Mac, unfortunately.

Most use Pro-Tools, Peak (which many hate), or an old program that has been discontinued called SparkME. Those are perhaps the best for only working with audio files.

Soundtrack Pro 2 by Apple seems to fit the bill, but they do not sell it by itself unfortunately.

Then also there is Cubase for OS X. I think they have a demo you can try.

I have a windows PC in my studio only for running Cool Edit Pro for this very reason. No CEP or Soundforge on Mac, and I need the nice filters and such from CEP. :-(

5. Greenjeens macrumors regular

Sound Studio sounds perfect for simple editing and file converting with itunes integration, at least for my skill level and what I want to do, as opposed to very complicated pro music creation, midi and multitracking suites. For $79, the price sounds right too. Thanks for the recomendation! There seems to be mostly very expensive application suites that can be too complicated for itunes users, who just want more control over the manipulation of existing sound files.

Greenjeens

6. bgalizio macrumors member

If you poke around, you can find it for cheaper as well. Regardless, download the demo and play around with it. See if it meets your needs.

7. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I'll check out Soundtrack Pro 2 as we have the FCP suite at work..

Thanks for the input!!