Sound gone on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Luis Ortega, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

Since yesterday, my 2008 Mac Pro has no sound.
    The startup chime is silent. No sound comes from the speakers and the line out/in options in system sound preferences is missing, although it still lists my Logitech webcam microphone.
    Could the sound chip on the logic board have stopped working?
    The missing line in/out devices in the sound preferences seems like it might be a hardware problem.
    I have tried all of the normal things like checking cables and resetting pram but no change.

2. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Are there some audio preferences you could trash and then try a restart? Also trash any third party audio plugins and such that might be causing a conflict and disconnect everything but the display, keyboard and mouse.

3. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I did try trashing all the audio preferences and having nothing else connected to the computer earlier on but it made no difference.

4. MacVidCards Suspended

SMC reset?

Unplug power and hold down the power button for 10-15 seconds

Or PRAM reset

5. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I did all that too, without any change.
    No startup chime, no sound at all from any software or media and no line in/out device listed in the sound preferences.
    I also noticed that there is no sound either when I boot up in Windows using Bootcamp.
    It sounds like a logic board failure of the sound chip to me. I was thinking of buying a sound card to stick in the mac pro, but I don't know if it will work.

6. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Sorry to hear about your problem. Maybe an option is try cleaning up the interior from dust. If it does not work, another option is getting a logic board for your 2008 Mac Pro thru eBay UK. This listing is in eBay USA http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...rd&_nkw=2008+mac+pro+logic+board&_sacat=58058 Hope in UK you can get one at a low price.

7. MacVidCards Suspended

There is a kext on this site that enables HDMI audio using the chips present on modern GPUs.

Might work for you, not sure

8. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

It could be software related. Mine did the exact same thing, right down to the Logictech Mic.

I ended up rolling the OS a week back (to a time when it worked perfectly) and tada... It was fixed. My problem was caused either by a recently installed app., or a botched update. I thought it was a hardware problem, but I booted to a Ubuntu LiveCD and found the sound worked fine.

Perhaps you could boot to a different OS for diagnostics, just to eliminate your OS/Apps.

9. koban4max macrumors 68000

10. tomvos macrumors 6502

tomvos

If the internal sound chip is broken and everything else is ok, you might want to consider buying a cheap external usb sound module. Something like the iMic — however this is no longer sold. But there are plenty of cheap USB sound modules which work just fine with OS X.

11. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I did try booting into an old clone and also into windows through bootcamp but the sound was still missing.