Sound in Snapz Pro X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ArtOfWarfare, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I got Snapz Pro X a few months ago as a part of the Mac Heist II bundle... I only just started using it in order to record games. Something I noticed though is... it doesn't seem to allow me to record the sounds from the game... only from the mic. I'm sure I'm just overlooking the option somewhere... can someone tell me how to record the sounds being made by my computer along with the video in Snapz Pro X?

Oh... and while I'm asking this... how can I tell it to save recordings to my movies folder? It appears to only allow me to save to Pictures, Desktop, or folders inside of the Pictures folder.

It seems almost as if they made this program with recordings being more of an afterthought and pictures being the main thing... but that wouldn't make any sense at all as the program doesn't appear to do anything that Grab (which comes with every Mac... it's inside of Applications => Utilities by default... I use it because I can never remember the hotkeys for taking screenshots.)

2. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Okay, I found the option... but it's grayed out.

"Mac Audio Track" is grayed out... can someone please tell me why and how to un-gray it?

Edit: WTF!?

I found the answer... and it's total bull. "Intel Macs aren't supported." F that. I payed for a recording program and I expect to get what I payed for. Audio Hijack is capable of recording sound just fine on my Intel Mac. They've got no excuses.

2X Edit: Petition anyone? Or someone want to make a plug-in that'll let it record Mac Audio? Hell, someone want to just try hacking the program so that the option can be checked on even on Intel Macs and see what happens? Maybe we'll just kidnap the developer's family/friends and hold them ransom until they get it fixed and deliver the product they promised.

3X Edit: Holy s! I just went to their boards (to complain of course.) Do you have any idea what they charge for their half a**ed program? $70! Thank god I got it as part of the Mac Heist II bundle!

They really need to get their game on. They're trying to charge $70 for a program that doesn't deliver as promised on Intel Macs. News flash for them... Apple doesn't even make PPC macs anymore! They haven't for nearly 2 years! Less than half of their customers own PPC macs I'd be willing to bet.

3. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

As a former SnapZ Pro X user, I HIGHLY recommend ditiching SnapZ Pro for
    Screenflick.

Screenflick is far superior.
    Get it here: http://www.araelium.com/screenflick/

Here is a shoot out:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2008/05/14/tuaw-faceoff-screencasting/

Comments on SnapZ Pro:
    "I've had Snapz in my arsenal for a long time, and I don't like it any more today than the first day I used it. It was a little counterintuitive then, but it's just plain outclassed now. I know there are a lot of people using it, but in a feature-to-price comparison, it's really not worth it anymore. Snapz Pro X is becoming a dinosaur in a rapidly evolving world, even compared to a free app like Jing ... and especially next to applications like Screenflick at half its price. "

4. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

woah...

ScreenFlow sounds awesome...

but...

my budget is $0 which means I have to go with what I've already got (SnapZ and Audio Hijack,) or one of the free programs.

WTH?

Is a little sound too much to ask for!? SnapZ, Jing, and Copernicus all lack system recordings. (Well, SnapZ claims to support it but they disable it on Intel Macs... cheap bs.)

I think I'm going to have to go with SnapZ and Audio Hijack recording simultaneously... and then I'm going to merge their outputs into one iMovie '06 project... (because iMovie '08 wouldn't let me align them just right.)

Edit: I just downloaded Screenium's trial. The program seems pretty sweet... but I'm wondering... what are the trial's limits? It looks like full screen recording isn't allowed... is that it? If that's really it then I don't care and I think I'll just use it for future recordings...

2X Edit: Doah! It's limited to 30 second recordings. But dang... it was so much better than SnapZ...

3X Edit: Woah! Screenflicker's demo just puts on a watermark. I can live with that. :) I can also remove it by replacing the icon in the application resources with a totally transparent icon.

4X Edit: Doah! :( They beat me. I replaced it with a totally transparent icon... so now instead it say "Created with an unregistered version of screenflicker." Oh well, it was worth a try.

Now I just need to delete the string that says that...

5. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

Download the latest version of Snapz. It works for me on my Intel MacPro, OS 10.5. Just tried recording sound from a flash piece in Safari while jumping all over the system. Worked like a charm.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It works just fine for me, but I had to update my Snapz Pro X version before it would work properly on my Intel Mac.

7. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

What version are you guys running...?

and how do you even update it? No section on their website talks about updating and it doesn't appear to have any menu for updating inside the program...

I'm running 2.1.2 and it grays out the option of recording "Mac Audio Track"

According to their website it's because they don't support intel mac audio recording but you guys said it worked for you on your intel macs...

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

V2.1.2, same as you... according to the FAQ your problem is not an incompatibility with Intel Macs but rather that the software isn't installed properly.

9. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I was just about to quote that exact thing from the FAQ... <_<

If you were going to go and check out that FAQ you could have told me so I wouldn't have to. :p (Kidding.)

So how do I install again?

Edit: Okay... done! It works!

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I hope you saved the installer. I did... if you have it just run it again. That's really all there is to it.

11. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I didn't.

But it doesn't matter, it was quick to download again.

Finally I think I'll get my moneys worth for this... just Awaken and CoverSutra came to $20 of the $50 I spent on Mac Heist II. Now I've got $90 worth of apps from Mac Heist II working great! (The games included are kind of cool... but worth maybe $5 a piece if you ask me...)