sound input issues - powermac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Bennieboy©, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

Hi, i've just finished building my G4 up, and im trying to record audio, and have conversations on skype, but even with a headset plugged into the microphone in plug on the back, the system isnt picking the sound up, i've made sure that the line in option is selected in system prefs, but when trying to calibrate it, it dont pick my voice up, the headset works fine on my other computer, but i'm not sure what else to try, could it be the sound on the mobo, or do i need a separate soundcard, im on a G4 Sawtooth with osx 10.4

2. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

iMic

Had the same problem. Don't know the details of your machine too well, however on the G4 MDD model it looks to me that there is no functionality on a mic port. I bought this and it works without a flaw:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic

I am sure you can find it used on ebay

:apple:

3. Bennieboy© thread starter macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

ahhhh thanks for that, i'll try and find one then :D

4. awmazz macrumors 65816

I think the audio ports require a self-powered mic (and speakers) or something like that, I wish I could remember now. But I had to go the usb/imic route as well for the same reason.

Unlike the second 'Apple Pro' speaker port for the G4 spherical speakers which draws power from the Mac itself.

5. aibo macrumors 6502

To use the microphone jack on those older macs you need a product called the Griffin NE Mic. It's not made anymore and has been superseded by a USB version called the iMic.

6. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H