Sound intensity of the GF8800

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Qjuu, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Qjuu macrumors member

Hi,

I've often read the mac pro is dead silent. But I think most reviewers will use the standard graphics card. And I know it from my PC - graphics card's are known "noise makers".

So, how is the GF8800 in terms of noise?

I would put that Mac Pro on my desk, about 1 meter away.

And btw: Is it true, that a Mac Pro is more silent than a iMac?? Because of more room for cooling and greater fans?

Thanks,
    Qjuu

2. Jonny427 macrumors regular

So to quote EVERYONE else, the computer is dead silent. The only thing thats noisy is the optical drive. My mac pro w/ the 8800 sits just under my desk and I can hardly tell its even on.

3. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Come on man - the Mac Pro isn't 'silent'. It's not as quiet as some people have been saying. But it's really quiet for an octo core workstation beast.

I'm coming from a DualCore PCI-e G5 Powermac so i think i'm used to pretty quiet computers - my fans have never rev'd up, and it's pretty quiet. The dual proc G5's are noisier and the fans ramp up every time something half challenging is asked of hte CPU. My buddy's G5 ramps up the fans when he opens a quicktime movie...

The Mac Pro is quieter, but i still don't want it sitting on my desk like some people have it.

However, once it's on the floor beside your desk, you will barely notice it.

Re: the 8800 - unless you're playing games, it is totally silent. I actually stopped the fan with my finger and it made zero difference to the sound. It's spinning so slowly it's barely ticking over really - it requires very little resistance to stop it.

Don't worry about the 8800. Adding another HD will add way more noise than the 8800 fan.

Just mho!

Enjoy your mac pro

4. Qjuu thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that information :)

And btw.... that's what I meant: A Mac Pro could be dead silent -> for a workstation! So does anyone have the possibility for a direct noise compare Mac Pro vs. iMac??