Sound is cracking in Vista

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cycler15, Nov 29, 2008.

1. cycler15 macrumors member

I have a new alum MB. I have boot camp running with Visa Home Premium and I installed the Mac drivers that came with my MB. I have the Bose companion speakers connected. When I boot into Vista and play Warcraft 3 (dota), the sound during gameplay is very ******. It almost sounds as if the speakers are cracking. When I use the same speakers on my desktop PC, they work fine. I even tried playing Warcraft with the MB speakers and it's the same thing. Has anyone else had this sound problem when booting into Vista?

2. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

is that the only time this is happening or every time you play video and audio files and is it happening when you use your integrated speakers on your mac?

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You need different drivers; I had the same problem for a time. Are you using a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows? In looking for different drivers, you'll need to keep that in mind.

4. cycler15 thread starter macrumors member

It only happens when playing Warcraft 3. Never happens while playing songs on iTunes or anything else. Happens on both my external speakers and the MB integrated speakers.

I have the 32 bit version of Vista. How do I find the latest drivers?

5. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Same problem here with both the new MB and MBP. I am sure it is a driver issue. I have not figured out a solution yet.

6. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

The sound crackling is a pretty heavily discussed issue in both the bootcamp forums here and at the Apple discussions forum for bootcamp. You'll soon find that Windows on the new Macbook under bootcamp is a immature frustrating experience due to horrid Apple support with buggy drivers.

The main culprits for the crackling seem to be the Apple function key driver and the broadcom wireless driver. From the big threads about it some people managed to get the card to stop crackling 95% of the time but I still haven't heard anybody completely getting rid of the crackling yet. Solution involved grabbing Dell/HP versions of the drivers and other nonsense that we shouldn't have to go through.

7. aaronvb macrumors newbie

having this happen to me on my alu 2.4 and vista 64-bit business i did some research and found out that it's due to the vista wireless polling. if you notice, the "popping" noise happens at a set interval that vista sets to poll for wireless networks. even while connected to a network, vista still polls for networks.

if you search google there's a simple command line to turn off the polling and some people even create bat files that will turn it off once it connects to your network at startup.

or you can try a program called Vista Anti-Lag, which is what I use. not sure if I can post links on this forum but if you google 'vista anti-lag' you can find the download from codecase.de

haven't had the the popping noise since, and i have no problems playing tf2 for 3-5 hours straight.

hope this helps!

8. cycler15 thread starter macrumors member

Sound issue fixed!

Thanks for the tip! That program works great. I just installed and played a game of WC3 and didn't have any sound crackling issue.

9. oban14 macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem and it went away when I turned off the wireless.