Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbbluewater

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Got my new MBP 2011 15" base model the other day. Love it so far except the sound is not quite right. All songs from I-Tunes sound like they are favoring the right speaker. I went into the preferences and saw the balance set to the middle. When I play with the balance slider and go all the way to the right the sound just comes out of one speaker but when I slide it to the left the sound still comes out of both speakers. Does the same with Pandora. Should I just take it back and get it replaced or is there a driver I can try to re-install?

braindead5400

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
Wisconsin
Isn't there a subwoofer on the right side along with the right speaker? It probably sounds right heavy for that reason and when you adjust the balance it's still using the sub.

sbbluewater

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Sound Issue

Yes, I just found out this is a common issue with the sound coming out of the MBP machines. You are correct in that the subwoofer is located to the right of the trackpad so when the balance is adjusted it still sounds like the sound is coming from the right side. I called Apple support and they confirmed this. Sound sounds perfect through external speakers so all is well.
Thanks for replying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.