Sound issues in Vista 64bit

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Macbook noob, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Macbook noob macrumors newbie

Hello, i have a 2.53ghz mbp(late 2008) with the 9600m GT with 512 mem in it. I installed Vista 64bit with bootcamp and it seems that whenever i play a sound or a game, the sound breaks up randomly every now and then and with this comes slow graphic performance. It doesn't matter what program im using, it happens in steam, ventrilo, even youtube. Right after the sound is done crackling everything picks back up and it works great. Anyone know whats wrong? I hear its a driver issue but im not sure.

PS: On the OS X side when im running the 9600 nothing happens out of the ordinary.

2. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I found the solution to this last night. I don't know if it's only Vista or if it also affects XP, but the Broadcom driver has something to do with it. Disabling 802.11a seems to do the trick (and most people aren't around 802.11a routers anyway).

Right-click on My Computer and bring up the Device Manager. Find the wireless device and double-click it. Open the Advanced tab and choose Disable Bands. Disable 802.11a.

This has worked for me and others.