Sound Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by malluc, Aug 14, 2011.

1. malluc macrumors newbie

Basically, my idiotic brother managed to snap the end of his headphones off in my MacBook. Thus meaning that I cannot plug anything in or use the jack, no problems there as I didn't really use it anywho. However, my Mac seems to believe that there is something plugged into the headphone socket, and refuses to use the internal speakers, and there appears to be no way around in system preferences. After some research it appears that it's some firware issue, so I was wondering whether it would be possible to create a firmware update yourself that would overide the headphone jack and default sound through the internal speakers despite something being plugged in. It's either this or I take the MacBook apart, and I'm trying to exhaust all other options before trying that.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Trust me, you cannot create your own firmware upgrade.

3. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

You must remove the broken part of the jack from the port. There is a trick with super glue and a little piece of plastic, you get something thinner than the jack itself and put a little of super glue on the tip and then you try to glue it to the broken jack. When its dry you can gently pull it an hope that it works. There are some videos on youtube in how to do it. Be careful in order to not damage it even more.