Sound just stopped working

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by justforfun, Oct 29, 2008.

1. justforfun macrumors newbie

Not sure why, but all of a sudden have no sound effects. When I go to System Preferences all the alert sound effect choices are grayed out. When press the volume buttons, can't adjust settings and there's a strike-out symbol underneath the bars.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. texasdoc macrumors newbie

Probably a bad sound card

Mine did the exact same thing a couple of months ago. The sound card had failed and had to be replaced under warranty. I would make a Genius Bar appointment if you live near an Apple store.

3. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

Yeah it sounds like a sound card problem. it shouldn't be that expensive to fix but I don't know exactly what mac will charge you

4. Grizzly Adams macrumors member

I had a similar problem, called Applecare and had to go through a few steps with a tech, including resetting the PRAM. Does it sound the startup chime? Mine didn't and I couldn't adjust the volume at all. In the sound settings, there was no output device listed at all. I had to send it in for repair and when I got it back my repair order read:

The following/or parts were used to service your product:

632-0604 FLEX ASSY, AUDIO, M82

Not sure what parts that includes, but it was in and out of repair really quickly. DHL on the other hand took over a week to get it back to me after they picked it up from the repair center. Apple was good on their end, DHL was frustrating.

5. Mosqueda macrumors newbie

Mine too

My MBA lost its sound a few days ago. I've read elsewhere that folks have had their audio cards replaced and the problem happened again. My dilemma is that I'm in Iraq. I dread sending this in and I can't even call Apple to set it up. They offer no way to contact them except by phone. Sort of hard without phones readily available. Ideas??