Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JazzMan10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2006
So i need a laptop by August 29th for college. I am def gonna get a mac book pro. After some extensive research i think i have a plan worked out.

It would be nice if the Merom would appear in the MBPs before i got to school but it looks like that isnt going to happen so i was thinking i would buy whatever MBP is out there a couple weeks from now. Then, next year after they release the new meroms with faster FSBs and have all the bugs with the new OS Leopard worked out sell the Core Duo and buy a new Merom MBP.

I would wait till i absolutely need a laptop but i am switching from a PC and want to get used to the OS and i mean there is no garuntee that anything is gonna change from now till sept so i could end up in this same situation even if i dont wait. Plus i would be more angry if i buy a MBP the last week in august then sept first they release the Meroms.

Sound like a plan?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sounds cunning. What do you need the machine for? Merom should be great but I don't think many people will be needing to upgrade their Core Duos just yet. Meh, see how it goes. :)

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Sounds to me like the best way to take the biggest possible financial hit. Why not buy a used iBook or Powerbook to get used to the OS. Then by the time they get the bugs worked out, get Merom in the new machines, and put out 10.5, you'll be used to using OSX and you won't be take such a big hit on switching out after a year.

Just anohter way of looking at it.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
munckee said:
Sounds to me like the best way to take the biggest possible financial hit. Why not buy a used iBook or Powerbook to get used to the OS. Then by the time they get the bugs worked out, get Merom in the new machines, and put out 10.5, you'll be used to using OSX and you won't be take such a big hit on switching out after a year.

Just anohter way of looking at it.

I would have to agree, the MBP being the top-of-the-line laptop, it will also lose value the fastest.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Sounds like a good plan. :)

Although, munckee brings up a very good point about considering buying a used iBook G4 or PowerBook G4 to hold you over until you can buy what you really want/need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.