Sound not working please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sophiecb, Feb 23, 2013.

1. sophiecb macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    I have a 13'' mac book pro (running OS X Lion 10.7.5) . and the sound has gone comletly on it unless i have headphones plugged in. I have tried everything including re -setting the PRAM (which i have done). Please help me. :( As i am a student who needs her laptop for her studies and cant afford to send it away to be fixed :confused:

2. OS6-OSX, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013

OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

"I have tried everything" puts it in the "time for the shop" category.
    System Preferences > Sound should have been #1 on the list

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 14GB Ram | Quadro 4000 | MC6.0 | OS 10.6.8 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324

3. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Make sure you zap the PRAM three times in a row (three chimes). And it might sometimes take even more to get the sound to come back. :)

4. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

You wouldn't happened to have spilled water now, would you? Happened to my last laptop. Spilled just a few accidental droplets, I'm talking less than a small sip-worth of water on my laptop while it was closed. Functioned fine but my speakers were RIP since that day.

5. oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

It's possible that...

.... the prongs of the 1/8" headphone jack are stuck & disengaged, thus no sound from the computer's speakers. Sometimes a bit of light "wiggle" of the phone's plug will do the trick. I have even once used a safety pin with it's tip bent slightly to fix the problem you described.

If it's under warranty, let the pro's look at it. My suggestion is a last ditch option as opposed to a possible expensive repair.