Sound on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by herbal!ser, Feb 2, 2011.

1. herbal!ser macrumors newbie

I want to buy the MBP in the summer after the new models are released but I have one question. I'm wondering how headphones and earphones sound with the MBP. Right now I have a Sony Vaio FW and headphones sound amazing on it, especially after adjusting some settings in Dolby Control Center . So, how does the MBP sound with headphones? If anyone on here has had a FW and a MBP, can you give me a comparison between the two in terms of sound?

2. Phazer macrumors member

I think it sounds really good.
    Depending on the application you're using you can obviously adjust settings like EQ and all of that stuff.
    Listening to music on iTunes doesn't really sound much different from hearing the same files on my iPhone.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If they do sound amazing in general than I will have to eventually send it in.
    Mine doesn't the output is worse in sound quality than my iphone 3g and I even thought that was a step back from the trekstor mp3 player I used to have.
    With software EQ you can always change how something sounds but you cannot change the SNR or the output and trust me it is annoying when listening to classical music. It makes little difference with loud music or most movies though.
    The speakers don't have this problem but that might just be because you cannot hear the difference next to the hdd and fan noise.

At least the audio out is shut down if you don't play anything. Thus if you attach it to some external speakers they won't constantly put out some noise.

Aside from a missing fast data output like eSATA or USB3, audio is the only thing I really wish they would put more effort into.

PS: There is no surround sound (TRS,SRS,..) in OSX like it is on many windows notebooks. You can only get that via some software that has it built in or maybe there are some apps that change the audio output from any source.

4. oivindi macrumors newbie

The quality of the audio output of newer Macbook Pros (and MacBooks in general) is really, really good. I have used it with everything from Sennheiser HD650s to Beyerdynamic DT-880s, and they sound clean, noise free and in general very satisfactory.

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

The built in sound card with headphones on the MBP is really good on my opinion. I often mix audio in Pro Tools using the headphone jack and everything comes across very balanced and accurate. I of course do the final mix on my studio monitors, but the headphone jack quality does not deter me in any way. It's good.