sound on my TV?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dr Kevorkian94, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I have a late 2007 iMac and a vizio TV, the TV has a hdmi and and VGA port on the back. A while ago i decided to buy a mini display port to VGA adapter so i could use the Tv as a second screen. Now i find myself wanting to watch movies and i cant stand the audio still being on the computer while the movie is playing. so i was wondering do i need a cable that connects the headphone jack and the RCA cables (the red and yellow tv cables) on the tv next to the Vga port? or something different.The reason i'm asking is i found myself thinking that if i keep the cables permanently connected then the sound would constantly play/ or not play through there even when the Tv is off. so would i have to specifically choose in settings to play through the built in speakers and vise versa when wanting to play a movie. so that is my quandary sorry for the long rant. just need to know what cable i need.

2. MacHamster68, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

most tv's i had so far who offered a hdmi and a vga in offered a tiny hole usully next to it for plugging in audio that comes fromt the headphone jack of the computer , on some tv's i had its not even marked

but if you got the red and white rca then just get a headphone to rca cable , they are quiet cheap one end a black or green jack for headphone (the color does not matter there ) and on the and on the other end red and white rca no need for the yellow as thats for video

3. Dr Kevorkian94, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

alight thanks

edit: ok there is a headphone jack on the TV next to the VGA but as soon as its put in the sound will be channeled through a TV that is off so there is no sound (on my computer) when im not using it. and in the settings i cant not choose the headphone output when its connected. i really dont want to have to connect and disconnect every time i want to watch a movie.