Sound on video recordings - one mic?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajm222, Sep 28, 2014.

1. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I have a bizarre problem on my 6 and just wondering if the same mic is used to record audio regardless of which camera (front or back) is used to record video. If I record video using the front camera, I get clear audio on the recording. If I record using the primary camera on the back I only get a static sound and the audio is extremely faint, almost imperceptible. As far as I know the phone only has one mic. Therefore it would seem it would have to be a software glitch of some kind. I guess I can try and wipe everything and see if that works but I'd rather not. I have an appt at Apple on Tuesday.

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Actually the phone has three microphones....
    On on the bottom, one in the earpiece, and one on the back next to the camera lens.

3. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I wonder if there's a way to test all three. Speakerphone works on calls and the regular mic works on calls. Perhaps the third mic, maybe the one on the back, isn't working. I wonder if there's another way to test it or if it's only on video taken with the back camera that it's used.

4. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I think so. The iphone uses all the microphones for noise cancellation on phone calls though. That really wouldn't help you though.

5. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok. Finally figured it out. I have a skin on the back and even though part of it is cut out, making it appear that there is a hole for the back mic, the cut for some reason didn't go all the way through. Upon closer inspection I can see there is still material over the mic. Need to somehow poke a hole in it or remove the skin. That's what's doing it. But unless you look close it appears that it's cut out properly. Really appreciate the help. Thanks.