Sound output to BOTH USB and audio jack?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eric L, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Eric L macrumors member

I have connected my Mac Mini to my TV and would like the sound from the Mini to run out both the USB and the audio (headphone) jack. That way, I won't have to switch it manually every time.
    Is this possible?

2. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

First off, what do you mean when you say you have to "switch your audio manually every time"? And, how do you have your Mac mini connected to your TV, audio-wise?

3. Xavier macrumors 68020

I just use a Y-Cable to connect my MBP's audio to the audio input of my TV. HDMI cable for video. Is this what you are doing?

4. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

I'm still unclear as to why you want your audio to output through BOTH the headphone jack and USB. Why not just leave the output set to the headphone jack and be done with it?

Also, in your first post you're asking about a Mac mini. In your most recent post, you're talking about a MacBook Pro. I'm confused :confused:

5. nrajack macrumors member

There's nothing in this thread mentioning a Macbook Pro by the op.

As to why the op wants to have audio out both the headphone out and USB to the TV? Did you ever stop to think that maybe there are times the op doesn't want to wear headphones and would like the freedom of using the TV speakers? Or that there are other times the op doesn't want to disturb someone else with what's playing? The op doesn't have to justify to you or anyone else why he wants to do what he wants to do. If you can't answer the question why even post?

6. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

Right you are, I took a reply from another user as being from the O.P. My mistake.

Do I really have to point out the irony here? I don't see any solutions coming from your post either. Anyhow, I'm trying to determine why the solution is needed in the first place. Sometimes it's just the easiest way of working out a problem; I'm trying to help obviously.

7. nrajack macrumors member

I gave you a couple of reasons WHY the OP wanted to do what he wanted to do. So I at least offered one answer for the problem at hand. Could also be the TV doesn't have a headphone output - did you ever think about that? I may not have ALL the answers, but I at least gave one possible answer.

8. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

Whatever, I'm just trying to help. I won't bother anymore. Good luck to the O.P.

9. MacTech68, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Setting up an Aggregate Device for sound output and assigning that as your "Default Output" might get you where you want to go.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215

10. Eric L thread starter macrumors member

I am using this to convert to HDMI for the TV:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

The computer speakers run out of the headphone jack. You can only select one of the outputs at a time, so if you want to watch a movie, you have to switch the output to USB. Then when you are done, you have to switch it back to hear computer sounds through the speakers. Or if you want to watch regular TV and surf the net at the same time.

Quote: "Also, in your first post you're asking about a Mac mini. In your most recent post, you're talking about a MacBook Pro. I'm confused"

Wow, only have one computer in your house?

11. Eric L thread starter macrumors member

I tried the Aggregate Device solution. It seemed like it should work. I created an aggregate output that included both devices. However, it plays iTunes through the USB only and computer sounds through the headphone jack only. I don't see any way to mirror the outputs. :confused: I don't need to hear computer sounds through the TV but iTunes needs to output to both sources.

12. MacTech68, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Though I've seen it work before, I don't have the hardware here to test it. Perhaps set the "System" and "Default" outputs to the Aggregate device. Also, make sure both the heaphone jack and the USB sound device are ticked in the "USE" column when you setup the Aggregate device.

You may also need to quit all "sound" applications (eg iTunes) for them to see the change on re-launch.

Otherwise, I can't help much further. :(

EDIT: I could be giving you poor advice, but SoundFlower might get you part-way there. Usually, you'd use it to route sound from one application to another to record an Application's sound, but since it IS a sound-routing tool, you might find a combo that works.
    SoundFlower is used/bundled with a few commercial products including the predecessor to AudioHijack

EDIT2: just linking to a similar discussion going on here