Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wshld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
I don't know what happened but i can't hear anything from my iMac. The internal speaker do not work anymore, nor my Headphones do. When I press F11 or F12 to adjust the sound volume, i get this image -> http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3186/image1pi3.png

I tried to go in the sound panel to figure out what the problem is, but i couldn't find a solution.

Anyone ?

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
check the speaker port on the back. If there is a red light coming out of it that is your problem right there.

That would be the computer somehow getting messed up and thinking you have an optical tosLink cable plugged in. This happened to my MB about a year ago.

If it is convenient to do so, I'd say take it in to an :apple" store and have them fix it (if still under warranty). If you don't want to / can't do that, just take a paper clip and and play around in there. There should be a sensor that you just kind of have to hit just right a few times, and it should go back to normal. I swear this won't mess anything up, as that is what I ended up doing (but don't hold me liable if you do screw something up :eek:)

wshld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Hmm there's no light at the back ^^
well anyway, I resolved the problem, still don't know what caused it tho hehe. Thanks anyway !

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Here's another way to check if my theory is right: in the sound panel under output there should be something saying what you currently have going.

That should say optical or something to that effect if it is what I think. By default it will be "built-in output", and that is what you will want (for internal speakers / analog external speakers)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.