Sound Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tomaspavelka, Jan 27, 2011.

1. tomaspavelka, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

tomaspavelka macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    "I got very few problems, but the sound is one!"

When I play any video or audio using a number of different media players including quick time 7/8 and I tunes 9.02 everythings fine for until about 10-20 minutes later when the sound crackles and eventually (over the space of about 5-10 seconds) fizzles out till there’s no sound at all. It’s almost like the bit depth of the audio is being reduced before cutting out. At other times the crackling persists for a minute or so then continues to be fine. If I close the media player and reopen it the sound plays as though there was never a problem. I can also get the sound back if I switch to and throw between my Audio interface (m-audio fasttrack pro) and any of the other audio outputs in the system preferences. All ok until 10-20mins later when the same thing happens again.

If anybody has any suggestions or can relate to the issue at all I would be very grateful for your feedback. Many Thanks
  2. SmilesLots macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2010
    SW Virginia
    The usual repair permissions and run maintenance scripts.
    Make sure the driver is up-to-date on that M-Audio device for your OS.
    Try a regular dvd, not downloaded video.
    Monitor cpu and disk activity in Activity Monitor to see if that points in any direction - bad hd or spiking on cpu.
  3. Detrius macrumors 68000

Sep 10, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Oh, yes yes. You repair permissions by rebooting and holding down command-option-R-P until you hear the machine chime again.

Seriously, though, the BS about repairing permissions and running maintenance scripts isn't going to make a lick of a difference. Resetting the PRAM could, though. If you stick just to internal audio, do you still have the problem? As the previous poster did say, make sure you have up-to-date drivers for your M-Audio device.
  4. elvisizer macrumors 6502

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
  5. tomaspavelka thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    Thank you!

I just re installed the driver for the M Audio Device and all seem to be good again :)
    Many thanx for all your suggestions!