Sound profiles and auto-rejecting numbers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cyks, Aug 29, 2011.

1. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I currently have a 3 year old Samsung Eternity (technically, it's not even a smartphone), but, after reading some of the recent threads here, I'm curious if I'll be losing features when I upgrade to an iPhone 5.

Sound profiles? Right now, with 2 clicks, I can set it to one of 4 customizable profiles (Normal, Silent, Driving, and Outdoor)... each with separate settings for ringtones and message alerts.

Ideally, I'd love the ability to fully customize settings down to the caller (or group of callers). For instance, a customized profile called 'emergencies' which would silence everything except for the 'family' group... and so on, without having to change every contact manually every time.

Another feature my phone has that I love is the ability to 'auto-reject' calls from certain numbers. If any number from the list calls, it will send them straight to voice mail without ringing and interrupting me.... a great feature when dealing with harassing phone calls, telemarketers, or even work when I'm on vacation.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Can't do either on the iPhone (well you have 2 limited "Profiles" on iPhone). May be possible if you jailbreak.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

As it was stated in that other thread, it has clearly been talked about that none of the iPhones have this ability (profiles) and as of iOS 5 beta 6, it doesn't seem like Apple is going to implement this feature anytime soon.

So to answer your question, Yes, you will loose this functionality.

4. cyks thread starter macrumors 68020

cyks

What about the option of auto-rejecting numbers?

5. saving107, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Have you looked into Google Voice?

They offer the ability for Family, Friends and Co-Workers to all have different rings, the ability or inability to call you during certain hours, different Greeting messages and more...

My Google Voice number has become my primary number, I use my personal phone as my work phone as well, and its great because on my days off or at night, I just set my phone to not accepts calls from work or clients, but family and friends still come through. Even though calls may not come through, they have the ability to leave me a voice message and I can call back if I choose to.

It may not be the answer that you were looking for, but its an option that is available.