Sound Quality: Beats Studio Wireless vs Bose/Other

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by preyan, Mar 24, 2014.

1. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

I am considering getting the Beats Studio Wireless but want to know if there is anything that comes just as close sound wise? Beats appeals to me because of the bass. Ideally looking for something that gives off heavy bass but can also handle it without distorting.

I've heard about Bose but have yet to hear it. Or maybe there is something else?

2. phositadc macrumors 6502

I had the beats and returned them. Noise cancellation was important to me and the beats just don't compare to the bose. If you don't care about noise cancellation the beats would probably be a great wireless set. Wish Bose made wireless with active noise cancellation.

3. Rchawks, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

Rchawks macrumors member

I can tell you I'm very happy with both sets that were purchased last month.
    First model I bought was the QC 15 which has noise canceling but has a wire.
    Great sound! Noise canceling is excellent. The wire is a pain, I did consider buying the wireless instead. I work out at the gym 4 to 5 times a week and found the headphone just a little uncomfortable for what I'm doing. That and I worried about sweating on them.
    So I gave them to my wife to use when she works out and then I bought a second pair, the QC 20i with noise canceling. Again the wire is a pain but man it sounds great, and does a good job of shutting out the noise even at low volume.
    A friend of mine bought the beats and gave me a chance to listen to them, but I liked the feel and sound of the bose better. Six hundred dollars was a lot of money to spend on headphones, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's makes working out at the gym so much more bearable listening to my music while shutting out the piped in music there.
    :cool:
    Just as a side note many people wanted more bass than what they deliver, but for me that wasn't important. Best buy is where I purchased the first pair, they also had several different models out to try.
    The ear buds I bought from Bose in Kansas City.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

You ask if there is anything that is better "sound wise". Of course there is. Any decent professional quality studio headphone will give more accurate sound.

But you want wireless sound canceling headphone so it gets hard as there are not manu=y of those out there.

What about bass? You want a headphone that is accurate or that exaggerates the bass?

If you want much better sound and can stand a cord and no noise canceling you can get that for about $100.

5. oldmoldy macrumors newbie

I HIGHLY recommend you check out the Parrot Ziks. I have had a pair for over a year now and am extremely happy with them.

There is even an app that allows you to tweak the soundstage.

The active noise canceling is very good, however the design is so good that I don't even have to turn on the active noise canceling if i just want to tune out most of the noise in the cabin.

My only gripe would be the battery life which typically runs about 4-5 hours.

I fly cross country a couple of times a quarter and if my battery dies I just hook it up to my lithium back-up battery. Parrot sells spares, but for much less money you can get a lithium pack that you can use for other equipment too.

Worst case scenario the Ziks come with a hard cable that you can use to plug into your audio source, the noise canceling and active audio enhancements won't be there, but you can still listen (very well) to your tracks.

Prior to purchasing the Ziks I researched all of the options that were out there at the time and listened to most as well (check sharper image <i think> or an airport kiosk that is demoing headphones) and found the Ziks to fit my needs best.

6. Silver78 macrumors 6502

Silver78

Both Bose and Beats are crap

Honestly dont buy any of those brands.

The market for years have been overrun with crappy headphones and headphone brands are spitting out headphones and making alot of money.

Beats are clothes accessory not great sound.

Bose is a very hyped brand and i've been working with hifi for years and been taking apart my share of bose products with a great laugh every time... Suckers who by that.

Even sennheiser made crap with their 598 that are just the old 555 and 595 in different plastic casing. Even 595 are the same as 555 using same speaker units.

The market right now is a confusing one. I would go for something like akg.

Best for you would be to find a place to listen to the headphones because honestly I would not know were to begin in this overrun market of ****

----------

I would have said to go for sennheiser momentum on or over ear but if you are european the momentum over ear size might be to small.
    Sennheiser is german but i get the feeling that the only german that came into contact with the over ear momentum is the guy that holds the bankaccount... Honestly the over ear are tiny...like made for asian ears.

But if you have kabbage ears (or how is spelled ) they might fit you.

Dont know about the great bass on those because i simply could not squeeze my ears inside them

7. preyan thread starter macrumors 6502

preyan

Sadly, you've missed the boat. I wasn't asking for your sentiment. (You sound bitter). I guess "sound quality" is subjective.

The rest of the replies, thanks for the great replies.

8. Rchawks, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You might have put it a little more politely, but I agree. I have a set of Sennheiser 289 HD's...total noise cancelation and you get what you pay for.

10. Rchawks macrumors member

Noise canceling was exactly why I bought both of them. I'm very happy with they way they sound and work, for me they were worth every penny.

Now if you want to talk about crap, it does seem that everything is coming from overseas now, even our tech service. Almost all furniture is veneer, microwaves and coffee makers last no longer than a year. Autos are the same thing. But I do believe that subject is common to all consumers here in the U.S.A.

The only reason I didn't buy the bluetooth version was because of noise canceling, and I happen to love Bose products, for that I won't apologize for.

11. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

Sennheiser Momentum "around ear"

I own the original pair in brown that was first released in 2012 and I can honestly say they are the best sounding headphones I've ever owned. I listen to Jazz, Classical, Rock.
    Bass is saturated but not boomy. The impedance is ideally matched to iPods/iPhones or other mobile devices, but they also sound great plugged into my Onkyo Receiver.

The build quality is great and light enough to throw into my backpack. They don't tire your ears out like many over-ear designs. I've listened to 3 hours straight just yesterday doing yard work and my ears weren't red or achy like with in-ear or over-ear types.

I would say they are classic closed-back design, but with an "around-ear" comfortable fit. Smaller than traditional over-ears, but definitely not on-ears.

I've heard about lots of fakes being sold on ebay for 50% of MSRP. Test and buy them from a local brick&mortar retailer to be sure you're getting an original.
    I bought mine from Futureshop here in Canada when they went on sale during the introductory period. 20-30% discounts are typical, but I would stay away from too-cheap-to-be-true offers.

YMMV, but I couldn't be happier with them.

Piece of advice, don't make racial generalizations. Not every European has big ears, not every Asian small ones.

12. Elpimpo macrumors newbie

I recently purchased the studio wireless. And i love them. theres a lot of hatred for beats around but the fact is that my prerequisites were wireless, rechargeable, noise canceling. These are great headphones if thats what you need. They look great, are well built, are VERY comfortable, light, battery lasts a respectable amount of time ETC....

Definitely try them on and see for yourself

13. sdimas macrumors member

While I haven't had either of those headphones, I have Skullcandy Crushers. They are not the greatest but for the $100 price tag and lifetime warranty I bought them anyway. I've had them for a year with no problems. I'm also looking in to buying a high quality pair of headphones.
    For bass I've heard the ps3 headphones have bass that will make your eyes water, but I've not tried then personally, and that is not necessarily what I'm looking for.