sound quality from CD import

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dorqiekat, Jun 25, 2007.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

I just noticed that lately music that I have imported from CDs have low sound quality.

For instance, I look at music that I have (from iTMS) and it's volume is at -10.2 dB. But the same song after it being burned to a CD is at -7. I can just adjust it, but I don't know why itunes is doing this. I don't feel like I've messed with the setting or anything. But I have noticed that my CD sound is very low, is there any way I can prevent this from happening?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In iTunes Preferences, what are your Import settings? :)

3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

for importing: ask to import, importing using ACC encoder @ 128kbps

for burning: speed at maximum possible, in audio format. I had "Use Sound Check" checked but just unchecked that option to test if that is what was causing the sound poop.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I find having Sound Check enabled makes a lot of my tracks seem much quieter. Tell us how it goes with it unchecked. :)

5. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, that seemed to have gotten the job done. Now I'm going to go crazy trying to figure out which albums got the sound check...

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wait. Isn't it something that is just switched on or off in the Playback section of the Preferences, applying to all tracks?

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Sound check is meant to make all tracks the same volume. It does in a fashion. Instead of bringing the quiet tracks up to the volume of louder tracks. It makes the loud tracks quiet.

It's not very good though.

8. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

when I realized that there was an option for sound check, I thought that it would do something cool like, importing tracks that skips or something like that....

I don't think I'll be using this option anytime soon.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

Error Correction is what you are thinking of.