Sound quality from rMBP to HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnyyt, Apr 25, 2013.

1. johnnyyt macrumors member

i hooked up my rmbp to my hdtv yesterday because i wanted to watch a movie. i have never done this before so i thought i'd try it out.

I connected the hdmi cable to both the tv and the rmbp and i got it to work and all but once i played the movie, the sound quality was terrible. it was scratchy and all distored. the movie quality was great since it was in 1080p but the sound was so awful.

i tried this on two of my hdtv's and both the same result. is it just because the tv speakers are that bad or the rmbp speakers are that good?

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I've never had this problem per se (hooked up my late 2011 to multiple HDTVs, audio and video are fine) HOWEVER I have found that thunderbolt to HDMI are, for lack of a better word, pieces of ****. I've used 2, both have become basically non-functional within 3 or 4 months. Have you made sure the HDMI cable you're using is the latest spec?

3. johnnyyt thread starter macrumors member

im using an hdmi to hdmi cable. not sure what you mean by 'latest spec' but i used 2 different hdmi cables for this as well. both with the same result. i currently use both of cables for my ps3 and a blu-ray player

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sorry, may have used the wrong term there, there are different "versions" of HDMI cables, but if you're using it on your PS3 (Sounds like you have a similar setup to me) it should be ok...you may want to bring it in to an Apple store and see if they can take a look.