Sound 'Quality' on current iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hakr, Feb 4, 2009.

1. hakr macrumors regular

What are the sound capabilities and qualities on current issue iMacs?

Tiny, tiny speakers? Better?

Decent sound output or will I still want to use my external speakers leftover from my PC desktop?

Damned hard to tell at the Apple store, because the stores are so noisy.

Thanks.

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

In your signature you seem to have one of he newest iMacs.

3. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

It's on the FEDEX truck...ordered it online Saturday direct from apple and am trying to clear out desk space for it right now. :) Dunno what it sounds like.

4. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but the sound quality awesome. The built in speakers that come with iMacs are really not that good (I think they are quite poor actually), but if you connect either a good set of speakers, or a good headset, the sound is awewsome. I have Sennheiser (sp?) over ear headphones and the sound of music, and sound effects is great. I have no idea about the digital side - I don't use it. Hope that is helpful?

Rich :cool:

5. wawanarchist macrumors regular

The sound quality of the built in speakers are quite poor for listening to music, or watching a movie. But, if you compare them to other all in one computers, or to laptop speakers, they are actually quite decent. As for the audio output for hooking up to an external soundsystem, the quality is immaculate.

6. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The built in speakers are good - for built-in speakers, but as others have said, if you want quality, then connect it to external speakers or, better yet, a decent hi-fi system.

7. mastershakess macrumors 6502

I have no problem with my speakers. If I want great sound I go downstairs and watch a blu-ray with the surround sound!

8. wawanarchist macrumors regular

Thats exactly what I was trying to say, only put much clearer.

And if this helps at all, when the iMac is hooked up to a high end pa system for a large rock show (I mix some large shows) playing music through the mac gives no distortion at all, very crisp clear sound, even when blasted

9. mastershakess macrumors 6502

you don't have a laptop for that?

10. wawanarchist macrumors regular

Extenuating circumstances... I usually use my powerbook, but the hd crashed on it, so it was either run to best buy and reinstall everything with 2 hours before the show, or run to my house and grab the iMac

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

They are capable of analog mono to 7.1 digital. It just depends on how you want to use them.