Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakr

macrumors regular
Original poster
What are the sound capabilities and qualities on current issue iMacs?

Tiny, tiny speakers? Better?

Decent sound output or will I still want to use my external speakers leftover from my PC desktop?

Damned hard to tell at the Apple store, because the stores are so noisy.

Thanks.

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but the sound quality awesome. The built in speakers that come with iMacs are really not that good (I think they are quite poor actually), but if you connect either a good set of speakers, or a good headset, the sound is awewsome. I have Sennheiser (sp?) over ear headphones and the sound of music, and sound effects is great. I have no idea about the digital side - I don't use it. Hope that is helpful?

Rich :cool:

wawanarchist

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
The sound quality of the built in speakers are quite poor for listening to music, or watching a movie. But, if you compare them to other all in one computers, or to laptop speakers, they are actually quite decent. As for the audio output for hooking up to an external soundsystem, the quality is immaculate.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
The built in speakers are good - for built-in speakers, but as others have said, if you want quality, then connect it to external speakers or, better yet, a decent hi-fi system.

wawanarchist

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
The built in speakers are good - for built-in speakers, but as others have said, if you want quality, then connect it to external speakers or, better yet, a decent hi-fi system.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say, only put much clearer.

And if this helps at all, when the iMac is hooked up to a high end pa system for a large rock show (I mix some large shows) playing music through the mac gives no distortion at all, very crisp clear sound, even when blasted

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
Thats exactly what I was trying to say, only put much clearer.

And if this helps at all, when the iMac is hooked up to a high end pa system for a large rock show (I mix some large shows) playing music through the mac gives no distortion at all, very crisp clear sound, even when blasted

you don't have a laptop for that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.