Sound question on TV setup

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Nov 28, 2015.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Here are my components:

1) Samsung UN60JU6390FXZA
    2) Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S5200
    3) Speakercraft CS3
    4) Chromecast

I have an optical cable going from the tv to the CS3 via the optical output form tv to input on the CS3.

Issues:
    1) Sound goes through the CS3 when the source is chrome cast or the cable via the antenna input with no issue at all
    2) Sound does NOT go through when the Bluray is playing (though it does on occasion during some parts of preview....strange)
    3) Sound does not go through when using the smart apps of the tv (youtube,etc) but does when the tv speakers are selected and not the optical.

Does anyone have experience with this and how I can mitigate this?

Thanks

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There's likely a setting within the TV you can turn off HDMI Send. See if that helps.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You might need a receiver to handle everything. The optical might not be playing nice with the TV. Or it might only be set to handle the first HDMI.

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Thanks to the both of you.

Just picked up a receiver tonight. The Pioneer Elite VSX-45. Figured I would want one eventually, esp seeing how my TV only has 3 cdmi inputs and nothing else

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i'm a little late but from your information it could be that the speakersystem c3 doesn't support DTS (or your TV doesn't output DTS which is less likely)
    that might explain why for example a movie on a disc (encoded in DTS) might not work but the trailer before it (encoded in Dolby Digital) works

99% of sound encoding on cable/sat channels are usually stereo,dolby digital 2.0 or dolby digital 5.1 but
    DTS is hardly used there ... even on streaming services like netflix etc. it is mostly dolby or normal stereo.
    On youtube you might catch a few other codecs on videos thus have more problems..

There might be an option to set the SPDIF Output of the optical output .. many TVs can create a downmix from dolby/DTS to stereo (PCM) if set so. If you force it to use PCM it should work.

Yout might try it check if you have a device which can be switched back and forth (PS4 can be forced to either use DTS or Dolby for it game output in the sound settings)