sound recording

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abhinav182, Mar 29, 2008.

1. abhinav182 macrumors newbie

ive been recording music on sony sound forge and acid pro on my pc and just bought the macbook pro. when i connected my guitar to the line in of the machine and tried recording, there a considerable amount of system noise, since the line in records in stereo, can anyone tell me how to get rid of this.
    also, are there any good recording softwares for mac.

2. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

I dont own a Macbook Pro but ive recorded on an imac the only diffrence is that I recorded using an audio interface instead of direct to the sound in (much better results by the way) so unfortunatly I cant help you much their , but answering to your other question I reccomend Garageband . The greatest thing about this software is that it comes free with every new mac! so you already own it! I prefer it much more when compared to Acid pro so overall (although its a mater of opinion) you have the oppertunity to use even better software.

Good luck with your recordings.

3. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I assume your guitar is going through some sort of preamp before the line in?!

4. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

really you need to get some sort of audio interface, whether that is a mixer that you output into the MBP or something that connects with firewire or USB

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I would strongly recommend you get a Firewire mixing desk. Something from Alesis or Behringer should do the job.

Use GarageBand. It may seem like a toy, but you can actually do heck of a lot more with it than you'd think...

6. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I record synths/keyboards, and high-end acoustic and electric guitar straight into my Penryn MBP (the guitars just through a mid-range guitar preamp/effects unit) and the quality is outstanding. Zero noise/hiss. The output is the same.

I'll be getting a FireWire interface at some point, but only because I want more connections (XLR input, and multiple outs) and phantom power. Not because the quality of the standard input isn't good for line level stereo sources.

The noise the OP complains about isn't being generated by his input - or if it is, it's simply faulty. It's either something before the input that's creating the noise, and/or he's just not got it set up correctly. As I said, my line input in totally clean.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Bear in mind the quality is highly dependent on other factors, such as proximity to electromagnetic fields (often generated by hard drives etc...).

An external hard drive in plastic casing can produce masses of interference.

8. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i run my Guitar thru my amp and than the headphone out to the audio in to record on garage band for the time being until i decide on a good desk amp. it sounds good not great but good. it has some noise but w/e

9. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The audio on the computer has lots of static noise.