Sound setting in Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by debudebu, Feb 9, 2010.

1. debudebu macrumors regular

Is there a way to adjust the overall volume so levels are a few decibels lower?
    Talking about Ipod on an Iphone 3gs. Thanks

2. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

To the left hand side of the screen, there's a long, silver button (around 1.5cm in length).

If you tap the lower end of that button a couple of times (whilst your phone is in use), you'll notice a decrease in volume.

3. debudebu thread starter macrumors regular

I should have made myself clearer. I know about the volume slider in the Ipod interface and the physical controls on the left side of the Iphone, but is there a setting to lower gain lower than this?
    The reason I ask is because certain genres I listen to VERY quiet just to have that ambient backnoise going, and even at the lowest setting it's much louder than my old MP3 player.
    I'm not using stock headphones I know that's part of the loudness, still, I'd like to lower overall gain without using an audio editor. I guess the iphone physical, and screen volume slider are the only way to adjust overall volume? No EQ or gain controls?

Even open to a Cydia volume setting/ EQ app if such a thing exists?

4. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Is soundcheck on (on both your iphone and itunes)?
    There's also a volume limit setting in the iPod settings on your device.

5. debudebu thread starter macrumors regular

Soundcheck I've tried with it on and off, and the volume limit setting is just so it doesn't peak over a certain level correct? I have the volume at the lowest setting, and locking that slider to the lowest setting isn't doing anything.

so there is no way to reduce the master volume level lower than where the slider on the ipod will go? Guess I'll have to adjust the gain on the genres I want lower with an audio editor or mp3gain program?

6. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

If you've got all your volumes at the lowest setting, I'd argue that you have either got your mp3 gain through the roof, or you've got some sort of amplifying headphones.

There's no way the lowest sound setting could be an issue.

7. debudebu thread starter macrumors regular

gain is fine on the mp3's and it's just some 60dollar earbuds. In the first post i said there are some genres I like to listen to very quiet (while researching) and the lowest level on the Iphone is still distracting. On my other mp3 player I have more granular control and can get volume lower.

8. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

isnt the lowest setting like completely off? and how can you not even stand it at the lowest setting??? dude i blast my headphones as loud as possible...and theyre still not loud enough...=(

9. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo