Sound stuttering in Virtual PC (xp)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drennan, Sep 8, 2007.

1. drennan macrumors member

I need to use a windows music production app on virtual pc but after installing windows xp, the sound stutters almost like its a system resources problem. I've followed all the tips to minimize cpu load etc, like disabling animation features in windows but its still stuttering. I would have thought my spec would be ok for this but it even happens on the welcome noise. Is this a resources problem or can i change a setting somewhere? Also does anyone know of another virtual host that would work better for sound? I'm not on an intel mac so don't think i can use parallels. thanks guys, Dren.

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Well, your biggest problem is that you're using Virtual PC. It actually probably IS a system resources problem (CPU, most likely) within the virtual machine. It's unlikely that anything beyond what you've already done is going to get you more performance.

You might want to try one of the other PPC-PC emulators; they may offer you a bit more performance than VPC.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Using a music production app under emulation such as Virtual PC is going to be pretty hard. Latency is going to be a massive problem I would imagine. Which application is it?

4. drennan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll google for other hosts if you think they would perform better. I want to use fruityloops which is native to windows. I use logic and reason on my mac but there are a lot of tricks i used to use in FL which i miss. They aren't all cpu hungry. cheers