Sound System for College Dorm

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cricketman, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Cricketman macrumors regular

Hi guys

I am in the market for a decent sound system/stereo for a college dorm. I want to be able to plug it into iPhones/iPods/iPads, as well as connect it to other devices such as MP3 players, laptops etc through regular AUX input. Looks are a bonus :)

Am willing to spend around $150.

Thank you!

2. MiniMoke macrumors member

Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air - you get THE look, outstanding build quality, magnificent sound quality (I use it as my only home HiFi gear and home theatre) and the benefits of iPhone/Pad dock, AUX input and of course AIRPLAY to wirelessly play your music from your computer, phone etc.

OK, the price.... ahem, it's not cheap to say the least, but worth EVERY cent -about 850$. Or get it's smaller brother, the Zeppelin Mini for about 300$ but WITHOUT AIRPLAY and less impressive sound!

Hope this helps

3. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Check out the Swan M10. Great speakers and can be had for around $115.

4. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Alternatively, assume walls are thin and listen to the music coming out of the rooms of the people around you? College is one big party. Who wants to stay in? Buy some noise reducing wifi headphones for when you want to study instead.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

From one college student to another. Avoid pissing off everyone around you and don't buy a sound system for your dorm.

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

From a recent graduate, seconded. Something as small as an iHome has enough power to play music for your pre-gaming or whatever you're doing.

Though a room on our floor freshman year had a sweet TV/sound setup, it was just used for floor gaming and movie watching.

7. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular

Trust that we won't be obnoxious with the sound. :)

hahaa $850 is wayyyy out of my price range.

8. Rondofan9 macrumors member

Right at your $150 price range. 2 Speakers, and 1 Sub. Exactly what you want "system" not just a dock I figured.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Speakers...ne jack, so you can just plug it in that way.