Sound System

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamin., Feb 10, 2008.

1. jamin. macrumors regular

I am considering buying some good external speakers for my upcoming MBP?

I am in Australia, and want something good but affordable?

I was thinking perhaps the Logitech X-530 ?

What are everyones thoughts? Other suggestions are welcome.

2. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Never used them but speakers are speakers, you can't judge them from a webpage, you've got to listen to them. Personally I just use a Marshall AS50r w/ Laney cones, it works great but for optimum sound quality you're going to want a rack amp, some powered monitors and good cabling. Conversely if you want surround, something like the Logitech's would be fine or if you have more money, JBL. It's simply a matter of preference, application and budget.
    Work out what you want from them and then start test-driving.

3. DarkFlash macrumors newbie

Best speakers I've ever had are the Harman Kardon SoundSticks II. They always sound amazing! Not that expensive either.

The Apple store in Canada sells them for $199.99.

4. elmo151 Guest

I got the bose speakers from the apple web site. awesome sound.

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I built my own setup, works out a lot cheaper.

I bought an 800 watt home cinema amp (has optical inputs for true) surround sound, 2 floor stand speakers, a sub woofer and 2 bookshelf rears.

The sound quality is astonishing, and it costed me £400. Buy the same setup built and you'll get charged about £800-£1000.

If you are in the UK, check www.richersounds.co.uk

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Sounds to me like you need to have a listen to some proper speakers at some point. ;)

Personally, I find most computer speakers are only good for notifications/youtube. For anything music or movie related, you'd really want a good pair of speakers.

Look at the Samson Resolv40A monitors. They're what I'd consider the best starting point for 'proper speakers' but they aren't expensive and are very compact considering their sound.

7. franz1999 macrumors member

Monitors

My suggestion is to go for some real active monitors -- see if you can find these in Australia: http://www.zzounds.com/item--KRKRP5

8. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I have a Logitech X-5-something. Got it cheap and it sounds great.

9. jamin. thread starter macrumors regular

10. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

A second for Richer Sounds! It really is the cheapest/best outlet for mid-range audio the UK has to offer

11. Greasybaz macrumors newbie

The last thing i would suggest for a home sound system would be a pair of studio monitors. Home speaker systems taint reproduced sound to make it more pleasing. This is exactly what you wouldn't want from monitors and what you wouldn't get if you bought some. Given the speakers mentioned in the original post I don't get the impression that they'd be in the price range you're looking at anyway but for anyone with money to burn, studio monitors for casual home listening are a no and would be a waste of money.

My advice would be go around to a few peoples places and have a listen to what they have. There's no substitute to actually listening before you buy. You could always have a listen on the shop floor but in any large retail store thats never going to be ideal.

On a side note I'm not so keen of Richer Sounds. In my experience the staff haven't been very good at demonstrating that they know what they're talking about.

12. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

For the prices and stock range, I don't care. If I'm spending that much on a hifi, then I'd do research.

13. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Ive beed using Logitech speakers for years. I have Logitech Z-5500 5.1 on my desktop and they are INCREDIBLE. Logitech really doesnt make a bad pair of speakers and they are affordable... go for it.

14. jamin. thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so i got new 5.1 speakers from Logitech.

I plugged them into my current dell (waiting for new MBP) but they wont work..only 1 speaker from either side works and the bass?

is my comp so old it wont support all the speakers?

15. Greasybaz macrumors newbie

This thread should tell you what you need to for surround sound on a macbook/pro:

HTML:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=275823
    Have you got an optical input on those logitech speakers? If not you may be in trouble.