Sound volume difference between MacBook Air 13" 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MiBook84, Jul 17, 2012.

1. MiBook84 macrumors member

I replaced my old 2010 11" with a new 2012 11" just to find that the sound now was extremely flat and much worse than my old 11". So bad, in fact, that I had to replace it with a 13" MacBook Air.

The store's in sweden don't take back the computers if the box has been opened so I had to sell the new 11" at a loss and I then bought the 256Gb 13" model.

However, it do sound much better than both the 11" BUT it does not sound as good as an identical 2012 MacBook Air 128Gb from USA with english keyboard.

I do not think the swedish keyboard makes the sound worse, both the left and right speakers on their own seems weaker than the other computer.

Tried everything from reseting pram, smc and reinstalling lion. Cloned lion from the other computer and ran it over usb to get the exact same setup and the sound volume is still very different.

The sound is more dynamic and a bit higher on the 128Gb from usa than my swedish 256gb. The volume is about the same if i put the 128gb on two steps from full volume and the other one on full volume.

Another intersting fact is that sound is nuch much worse in the latest Mountain lion beta. There, the sound sounds like it is transmitted over a phone call. Probably a bug in the beta software but I want you guys to listen for this also.

I called Apple and they asked me to go to the shop where I bought it. I sent an email to the store and the only option according to the is to let the service guys listen to it and if it sounds too bad they can repair it. No exchange or anything.

Another difference between the two computers is that mine has a yellowish screen and the other one has more of a blueish screen. Not a big issue but I think it is sad that the lcd lottery is still a problem. Perhaps it is the same with the speakers, several manufactures?

Havent had the time to look wich screen models they have yet in case anyone wonders but can look at it later.

If I didn't have two mba 13" 2012 I would never understand that the aound was worse but I felt that the sound was a bit thinner and then I compared them exactly.

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I dont think you should count on the built in speakers in a unit this small and think to create great sound - why don't you just plug in some decent external speakers?

3. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

That is not the issue here. I don't work a lot with sound and if I do, I do it at home at my desk with a MacBook Pro and a 27" Apple screen and good speakers.

I use my Air everywhere else, in the bed, in the sofa or when I travel (which I do, alot). I use it to play music or watch movies. Having the best sound possible with me is a priority. Perhaps that´s just me but that is how it is :rolleyes:

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You might check out "Boom" in the App Store ... it might help your situation.

But, as mentioned, the internal speakers leave a lot to be desired...

-howard

5. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice but I feel that the issue is hardware related. That the speakers in my computer isn't as good as the other computers speakers. Using Boom I can probably make it sound a bit louder but it will distort the sound and it takes extra cpu and needs the extra software.

I want it to work without having to fix it in the other end :)

6. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

7. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

I guess so but I wasnt looking for a software solution. Just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts with the same computer. Perhaps they have different speakers resulting in different results.

8. WesCole macrumors 6502a

My Air speakers actually impressed me when I first unboxed it. They were much louder and clearer than I thought they would be. Maybe you should go to an Apple Store or Best Buy and try out one of the display models to see if they sound better. If they do, return it to Apple for a replacement.

9. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your advice! The problem is that I live in Sweden and the stores don't have to take back the products as easy as in USA. That is a big issue in cases like this. They have offered to take it in and replace the speakers if they are found to be too bad.

The problem is that they are ok, but not perfect. So I don't think it is worth even to go back with it for such a service. And I don't really want them to take apart my brand new computer.

10. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I see. Maybe I just had low expectations in the first place for my Air speakers, so that is why they impressed me...lol. Also, I am not an audiophile by any means, so as long as I can hear the words to songs, I am happy. :)

11. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I too was impressed with the 2012 13" speakers. They really boom in the context of such a thin and light machine. I have 15" hp laptop anchor and the speakers are inferior to the mba.

12. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

I am happy for you =)

----------

I think my machine has either the 2011-speakers or just bad speakers. The other 13" mba 2012 I have compared to is much better.

13. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Get some good earphones for when you travel. Example: Klipsch Image X10i

15. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Better yet get the motorola 305 bluetooth for great wireless sound.

16. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    I see the OP was not looking for a software fix, but for the rest of us I suggest The music app: Digital Power Station from Bongiovi- It makes my 13" Air sound Great! I use the profile for 15" unibody on my 13" Air for the best sound range.