Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
I'm planning on upgrading to the 15" rMacBook Pro as soon as I can, although if there are dates for Skylake's release date I'll wait until then.

Simple question though, for anyone with this model and the PCI-e Flash Storage rMBP: how loud is it when you turn it on?

I'll be upgrading from the very old 2012 non-Retina MacBook Pro, which makes an awful racket when being turned on, but that may only be from the built in SuperDrive... Is the 15" rMBP with an SSD any quieter?

Thunderboltedge

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
Milan
No sound except when the fan start moving to low the temperature, which is almost never happening to me as I do not perform many heavy task.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm pretty sure the sound you're referring to is from the optical drive or the HDD spinning up. The retina models don't have either of those things, so they'll just chime(unless you've got the volume turned all the way down.)

AppleFan22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
I'm pretty sure the sound you're referring to is from the optical drive or the HDD spinning up. The retina models don't have either of those things, so they'll just chime(unless you've got the volume turned all the way down.)

Awesome, SOUNDS great!

Hehe, see what I did there?

AppleFan22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
No sound except when the fan start moving to low the temperature, which is almost never happening to me as I do not perform many heavy task.

I don't think any laptop's fan should kick in audibly when you first turn it on, unless you just have a loud fan. But I was talking about a cold boot anyway, from being turned off over night or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.