Soundbar and intermittent audio issues

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by exi, Nov 11, 2015.

1. exi macrumors 6502

Have an older ZVOX soundbar. Soundbase, really. Several years old.

After setting up ATV4's remote, noticed a low-volume static with intermittent stippling and popping from the soundbar. This sound happened REGARDLESS of any analog audio input or optical audio input connections. The sound was there without any cables connected to input jacks at all. Suspect ATV4 setup was coincidental.

Power cycling didn't help.

Unplugging/plugging in didn't help.

Still had sound, though with the above.

Days go by, I resort to built-in TV speakers, a new device is delivered, and now the sound appears to have disappeared from the soundbase, and it's back to normal. I can only assume it's an intermittent but inevitable failure of internal components and that I should still replace now.

Only other thought was something related to extra power draw from the outlets where everything is connected, though this did not happen on initial ATV4 setup -- just some time thereafter.

Thoughts?

2. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

Still no recurrence of this problem after 24 hours of use. Other than intermittent issues due to failing components inside the soundbase, any other possibilities?

3. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

Posting for posterity's sake in case anyone finds this while searching for their own answers.

Turns out that the sound I was hearing was actually interference from the Apple TV. Why it resolved without me moving any device or changing what was and was not powered on or in use, I have no idea. But I, while attempting a number of solutions, noticed that I could put my hand in the way of the devices and stop the sound. Relocating one or the other solves this as well, of course.

Simple enough. Perhaps because of the Apple TV's Bluetooth radio or some other reason.