soundcard expresscard for macbook pro 17"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Final Cut, Aug 15, 2010.

1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

i am trying out some dj stuff and was wondering if adding any usb or expresscard soundcard would give be a second line of audio out of my laptop...

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Depends what software you're using, but yes - you can run multiple outputs.

This sort of question is probably better asked in the digital audio forum.

3. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i figured but i wanted a quick response (need to order tonight). just to clarify i mean master mix plays from notebook minijack and another song plays from headphones minjack on the soundcard ... i would also like to confirm that the mic jack on the MBP unibody does not act as line out via software?

4. sochet macrumors regular

sochet

The answer is maybe, it all depends on the expresscard interface you use. It has to be able to be "Aggregated" in OSX's core audio (which means output 1-2 would be the normal line out and 3-4 from the expresscard interface, in effect making the two interfaces act as one) the downside of this would be higher overall latency and as I said not all cards support this.

Good luck!

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

sochet may be on to something there - and there may be problems using both at once.

USB audio interfaces are cheap enough though and many have 4+ outputs (to support surround sound etc.) so it may be easier just picking up something like that. Can't go wrong with Edirol, M-Audio etc.

6. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

would the creative xfi work or can i go cheaper (or must i spend more)?