Soundcard tip

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by SFT, Jul 22, 2008.

1. SFT macrumors newbie

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I think people typically recommend Firewire for pro devices.

Although most work plug and play, you should check driver support (if needed) for your OS.

3. SFT thread starter macrumors newbie

4. SigmundFraud macrumors member

Does anyone know if this really is still a problem? I remember in the early days of USB 1.2, when there were sometimes driver issues around quirks of specific vendors USB hardware, that there was no competition - Firewire was it. But USB 2 is more stable now, and though not as fast as FW400 in real-world testing, does have plenty of headroom for audio. USB is more popular with entry-level interfaces, but I imagine that this is due to broader PC support rather than due to acoustic inferiority.

Also, these interfaces are not "pro" devices. I'm guessing they'd be fine for home use and that the USB wouldn't be a big issue. You would be wise to listen to them before purchase and decide which one you preferred the sound of. I'd be interested in any recent field experience (rather than theoretical or received wisdom) that supports the FW is better than USB argument. I'm fond of FW - it's a Mac thing. But emotion shouldn't inform clear-headed purchasing.