Soundhound or Shazam?!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by lordking65, Jul 9, 2010.

1. lordking65 macrumors regular

Ok, you're right, this maybe a noob question but I've been doing my research and I still can't decide. On the iTunes store, soundhound has 3 and 1/2 stars and shazam has 4 stars but I've been seeing more good things about soundhound on goggle.

So please! Can someone make up my mind for me!

Soundhound or Shazam and why?

Thanks guys

2. holyibis macrumors newbie

Shazam includes PinchMedia Spyware. I would go with Soundhood for that reason.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

They use different databases, and often one will find something the other can't identify, so I didn't decide. I have both in one Music Search folder.

4. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I've used both and decided on Soundhound. Seemed to work a little faster, a bit more accurate, and I like the look and feel just a bit more.

5. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I like soundhound better.

But I've had better success in noisy environments using shazam.

6. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I've actually found in my usage that MusicID works better (for me) than either of those. I've yet to have it miss a song, even brand new songs on the radio. It works better for me in noisy environments.

7. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Anyone else?

I'd like to purchase Shazam or Soundhound but cannot decide.

8. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

9. Alxvasqz12 macrumors member

10. thewiccaman macrumors member

thewiccaman

Soundhound

To add to the consensus: Soundhound

11. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I used to have Shazam (before SoundHound existed). Shazam was nice, but once I experienced SoundHound, I never turned back. I highly recommend SoundHound :)

12. djgulia macrumors 6502

I've only ever used Shazam, but I'm going to have to give Soundhound a try.

13. California King macrumors 65816

14. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

This, though shazam has been great for me, it surprises me sometimes with the music it recognizes and the environments it recognizes them in.

15. Resist macrumors 68030

Shazam was great when it first came out, but Soundhound surpassed it with better features.

16. JulianL macrumors 65816

I hesitate to confuse the picture, since the majority are saying Soundhound (SHND), but after buying and experimenting extensively with both, I prefer Shazam (SHAZ).

I just want a simple tool to identify songs so I find all the extra stuff in SHND to be distracting and I really don't like the way that all that stuff scrolls along the bottom of the screen on the default startup page. SHAZ is less fully featured than SHND but I also find it cleaner and simpler in use.

For speed then I agree, SHND is noticeably quicker. For data use SHND is actually more expensive than SHAZ. My measurements showed a SHAZ recognition using about 100kb of network data and a SHND recognition using about 200kb. For me this is important since a fair amount of my use is when abroad and hence roaming so data is a limited commodity.

For accuracy I find them about the same, SHAZ sometimes recognises things SHND doesn't and vice versa. If I was really pressed though I'd give the edge to SHAZ here.

I haven't deleted SHND from my iPhone but it is in a folder on the last page of my apps screens as a backup if SHAZ fails to recognise something, or on the off chance that I want to use the "hum a tune" feature of SHND that I don't think is in SHAZ, but SHAZ is the one I keep in my main Utils folder on the first page of my home screen.

Ultimately both are truely amazing technology that I am totally in awe of (and I'm a computer scientist). I suspect a lot of people have no real concept of how incredible this stuff is in terms of the technical challenges, especially offered to consumers at these prices.

- Julian

17. Salacion macrumors 6502a

Hands down MusicID. Most features, best interface, and greatest results.

18. Jamie171717 macrumors newbie