Sounds like the iPod Touch is out....

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by modiver, Sep 21, 2007.

1. modiver macrumors newbie

...is that right?

I'm in the US. I was just at an Apple store about 10 days ago and I thought the 'genius' said that they wouldn't be out until next month.

My question is this: do you have to subscribe to a service to be able to use Safari that is built in to the iPod???

If so, who supplies the service and about how much is the monthly charge??

Thanks in advance.

PS - I own a first generation nano and a first generation video iPod.

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

no

its wifi, so wireless access points are the only place you can use them. It has no cellular capabilities. You are limited to where ever there is a wi fi connection (ie, wireless routers, hubs, modems, etc)

Hope that helps.

3. webteeth macrumors member

webteeth

There are absolutely no fees for using Safari, or another other online features like Youtube on the iPod. The iPod touch simply connects to Wifi networks, which are pretty much everywhere, and for the most part, free.

4. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Please see all the other threads here - the Touch has been out for a week, regardless of what Apple may say.

Safari - it's only usable via the built-in WiFi. You'll have to find a valid WiFi connection to use it. Some are free (Starbucks?), many you'll have to pay to access (at hotels, etc.) This is on a case-by-case basis. Without WiFi hotspots, you can't use Safari. If you want to get on the Internet ANYWHERE, get an iPhone, which has both WiFi and cellular data service. Rates are readily researchable for that.

5. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

6. webteeth macrumors member

webteeth

It's my understanding that you will still pay for Wifi access at Starbucks, but access to the iTunes Music Store will be free..

7. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

so you wont be able to access the public wifi but you will be able to access the itunes store minus login though safari. That seems so very... hackable

8. webteeth macrumors member

webteeth

apple.com/stabucks states, "As long as you have an iPod touch, an iPhone, or a computer with the latest version of iTunes, you get free Wi-Fi access to the iTunes Store and to Starbucks Now Playing content. Stroll into a participating Starbucks and you’re connected automatically."

Yup, unfortunately, the access is only available for the store.

Hopefully it is, that would be sweet. However, it looks that the service is only available in a few major metropolitan areas by the end of '08. The only cities Apple's website states the store is coming to are..

New York
    October 2, 2007

Seattle
    October 2, 2007

San Francisco Bay Area
    November 7, 2007

Los Angeles
    February 2008

Chicago
    March 2008

Rathole..

9. xerikx macrumors regular

The last place I would want to hang out and surf the net is a Starbucks, but that's just me...