SoundSticks II

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dtrimble, Jan 9, 2008.

1. dtrimble macrumors member

I just bought SoundSticks II from the Apple Store. They're plugged in according to the instructions, and I could hear that sound you get when you plug in speakers as soon as they are connected and powered.

Unfortunately, there is NO sound through them on the computer. The subwoofer is clearly powered as it has a bluish light thing going on inside. The Sounds system preferences panel does not show anything but the internal speaker as an output device.

Any ideas what's going on?

I'm using a MacBook Pro 15", 2.33 Ghz, 3GB, running Leopard 10.5.1 and Vista Ultimate (dual boot). I have not tried the speakers under Windows Vista yet because I spend most of my time in Mac OS.

There are little volume thingys on the bottom of the right speaker, but they are flat metallic "buttons" -- I can't tell if pushing on either of them is doing anything. Are the speakers supposed to be powered up with the blue light as well? If not, there's a problem since there's no light on them.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Dan

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If everything is plugged in (power and signal and satellites to the woofer), you should only have to touch the + plate on the RH speaker to raise the volume. It does not push in. If nothing happens, check the little plug to the RH speaker: I found that one pin had folded over on mine when I had not pushed it in straight, cutting out the volume control and making it impossible to push the plug home. I straightened it out with some needle-nosed pliers and it is now fine.

3. dtrimble thread starter macrumors member

Skunk,

Is the speaker supposed to give any kind of audible or visual indication that volume is going up or down when you press on the metal volume plate? It doesn't do either, and unfortunately the speakers still aren't making any sound.

Pins seem to be fine too.

Dan