Soundsticks, Z-2300, Promedia 2.1 or another?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pianoplayer1, Dec 9, 2007.

1. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Hi. I have an iMac G5 and now that the iSub won't work with leopard, I'm thinking of getting a new system. The main ones I am considering are the Soundsticks 2, the Logi Z2300 and the Promedia 2.1 (NOT GMX).

I heard that the Promedias have problems with the DIN pins where the speakers will just die, but the Promedias have a tweeter which is better than the Z2300's.

The soundsticks use the iSub and also look great, although I don't know how the sound compares to the other 2 THX speakers.

I will definitely use the speakers for many types of music and once in a while for games like SWBF or Halo. I don't need the loudest bass because the speakers will normally be on a moderate volume setting.

Please help... Thanks in advance.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. pianoplayer1 thread starter macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

I was thinking of those 6021's but I don't want to spend more than 100 dollars on a little computer system. Anyone have experience with any of these?

4. fandsw macrumors regular

I have had the Promedias now for 3 years and absolutely LOVE them. Great, almost incredible sound for such a small package. However, as you said, the din plug is a weak link: mine failed about a month ago, however I was able to send them off to someone who repairs & replaces the plug for under $20 shipped off of ebay. They work perfectly again.

The key is to not put pressure against the plug, i.e. don't push the sub against the wall with the plug between the sub & the wall, As long as you do that and don't kick the plug all the time you shouldn't have the problem. If I had known that I could have avoided it myself.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If the 'tweet tweet boom boom' scenario is getting to you, perhaps something like the M-Audio DX4 is in order. It's a regular two-speaker (tweeter/driver) pair of nearfield monitor, which produces respectable bass that's more integrated into the soundfield and the music than some 2.1 systems. Definitely not a floor-shaker though, although it is capable of decent 'boom'. It's about $50 over your budget, but worth considering for it's balance of sound quality and overall presentation. Not particularly pretty unfortunately.

6. pianoplayer1 thread starter macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

I'm now kinda leaning towards the soundsticks because of both the sound and design (and I used to have an iSub working before leopard).

The Z-2300's are definitely out because they are too boomy with less treble and midrange.

About the M-audios... Its not about the money for those, they are just too big for my desk - the Klipsch speakers are the largest ill go for.

Guys, how much better, if any, will the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 sound than the Soundsticks - because I'm very scared about the DIN plug and dont want to send things into Ebay for fixing :eek:

7. fandsw macrumors regular

Keep the Promedia DIN thing in perspective: it took 3 years for mine to fail, and I had the plug wedged against the wall. In addition Klipsch is still making them and has been aware of the issue for a while, so they may have improved the plug itself on new models. They have a fairly active user forum off of their website, so maybe you can find some more info there if they've upgraded the plug..

8. pianoplayer1 thread starter macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up ordering the soundsticks because of their great design and also because, although I know that it may not be THAT easy to break the klipsch speakers, I occasionally might kick it under my desk, or move it around a bit.

Anyway - the Soundsticks are supposed to be great, so I'm happy - I got it for $130 with 2 day shipping from amazon.

I probably will get a home theater 5.1 setup for my TV soon anyway.. so this was not a big deal to worry about.

9. pianoplayer1 thread starter macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Just out of curiosity - Does anyone have experience with both the Soundsticks and the Fx6021 because Dell has it for 150 and I may be able to return the Soundsticks right when I get them...

Please anyone who has or has heard both tell me which one you think is better.

Thanks in advance.